CopaCrawlers

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

CopaCrawlers
CopaCrawlers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money!

4 posters

Go down

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! Empty So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money!

Post  fwdjunky April 9th 2011, 11:28 am

OK, this isn't really much of a "build", but hey, every little win counts! The previous owner of my scrap metal Wrangler had removed the stock air box and replaced it with one of those fast and furious cone filter cold air contraptions. I'm sure this mod alone accounts for the neck snapping acceleration and tide altering torque put out by the fire breathing 2.5l 4 banger under the hood. Anyway as with almost everything else on this jeep the install wasn't really what one would call polished:

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! IMG_0147

Notice the well thought out use of tie wraps. 4 of them. This shows true fabrication knowledge as most people don't realize that what tie wraps give up in strength to baling wire they more than make up for in weight reduction. Also note the ingenious use of brake line coils for triangulation to add strength and stability. Truely a bullet proof design:

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! IMG_0148

Now being the arrogant S.O.B. that I am I thought I could improve on the existing design. Unfortunately I got so wrapped up in the complex math and geometry of the build that I neglected to take any in progress pictures, but here are a couple of my design team who were overwhelmed by the sheer size of the project. Or maybe their lunch:

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! IMG_0149

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! IMG_0151

Our efforts (mine and the design team of Cochi and Max) resulted in one puddle on the driveway (Cochi is still learning to control that) and the modern art masterpiece you see below. Please be kind with your comments on the welds (I'm still learning to control THAT lol). Not too bad I think, though I wasn't able to reuse the tie wraps.

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! IMG_0154

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! IMG_0152

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! IMG_0153

Hope you enjoyed my first build write up!

Rich

fwdjunky

Back to top Go down

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! Empty Re: So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money!

Post  toolbox April 9th 2011, 11:42 am

Nice. I need to do something like that. Mine is held up from zip ties!!!
toolbox
toolbox

Back to top Go down

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! Empty Re: So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money!

Post  fwdjunky April 9th 2011, 11:48 am

toolbox wrote:Nice. I need to do something like that. Mine is held up from zip ties!!!

I've got plenty of 16 ga sheet metal and the small square tubing left if you need some.

fwdjunky

Back to top Go down

Post  KingCopa April 9th 2011, 11:56 am

Looks good but how is that extra lb so high up is gonna effect your center of gravitiy? I see the design team clearly have figured out the details of it just wondering what their results were. jocolor lol!
KingCopa
KingCopa

Back to top Go down

Post  fwdjunky April 9th 2011, 12:06 pm

KingCopa wrote:Looks good but how is that extra lb so high up is gonna effect your center of gravitiy? I see the design team clearly have figured out the details of it just wondering what their results were. jocolor lol!

It will be offset by all the rubber and metal in the new transfer case mounts. The old one was nearly non-existant, it fell into 3 pieces when I un bolted it Shocked

fwdjunky

Back to top Go down

So I got bored in the garage yesterday, and for once it didn't cost me money! Empty Awesome job

Post  BAKER April 9th 2011, 6:47 pm

It looks good!
I bet that added at least 15 horses to da motor.
BAKER
BAKER

Back to top Go down

Post  fwdjunky April 9th 2011, 8:04 pm

BAKER wrote:I bet that added at least 15 horses to da motor.

15.5 Twisted Evil

fwdjunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down